Walton Heath Golf Club was founded in 1903 en the initial course (Old Course) was opened for play in May 1904. At that time James Braid was the Club's professional and was to remain in that capacity until his death in 1950. The course was laid out by W. Herbert Fowler, at that time a leading amateur golfer. It was his first golf course venture and he went on to become one of the leading golf course architects of his era. He created one of the finest examples of heathland golf, which so closely resembles the traditional seaside links courses, out of a jungle of heather, gorse and bracken.
The first nine holes of the New course (also designed by Fowler) were opened in 1907, with the full 18 holes being opened in 1913.